Beneficial Soil Reuse

Vac-U-Digga NZ is New Zealand's Leading Soil Reuse, Soil Transfer, Waste, Disposal and Soil Removal System

Vac U Digga NZ-Soil-Transfer-Unit-hire-New-Zealand

The true cost of hydro excavation

Non-destructive hydro excavation is well regarded throughout New Zealand as a safe, quick, reliable and economical method of working around subsurface assets and infrastructure. However, there are still a number of associated costs which have proven to still be a significant barrier for many project managers.

When looking at the price of hydro excavation, non-destructive digging on site is surprisingly the cheapest component of the process, only accounting for about 25% of the total cost. The remaining 75% (give or take) of the cost is typically attributed to:

  • 32.5% logistics – travelling to job sites and transporting spoils for disposal;

  • 42.5% soil disposal – is the single most costly component of the total cost.

The high costs associated with soil disposal is due to the nature of hydro excavation which uses high pressure water to convert solid soil into a slurry which is then vacuumed away. The spoils generated are considered 'liquid waste' which costs significantly more to dispose of when compared with solid waste streams. This is due the fact that liquid waste disposal sites are few and far between throughout New Zealand.


Vac-U-Digga NZ innovative soil transfer system can save your project money

Vac-U-Digga NZ has successfully developed a waste, soil removal and disposal solution that addresses the productivity and environmental issues in hydro excavation methods as well as the high costs associated with logistics and disposal. Our patented soil recovery and transfer system has been developed as a fully-scalable on site recycling and recovery solution that can be set up at most locations within a matter of hours.

Once operational, it is simply a matter of the hydrovac trucks backing up the ramp and emptying the contents of the collection hopper into the Soil Transfer unit's receival hopper. From there, the excavated spoil passes through a number of treatment processes where it is separated into two component streams, namely:

  • Recycled Water - which can be reused by vac trucks in the non-destructive digging process and

  • Recovered ‘Spade-able’ Material (solids) - which is either stockpiled ready for use on site following completion of the job or sent for disposal.  


Advantages of our patented soil transfer system

Just one of our Soil Transfer Units can process the slurries from up to TEN hydrovac trucks on site. Our fleet of compac and high performance vacuum tankers can easily achieve the same waste removal results as a fleet of full size units with a comparative total tank capacity in a fraction of the time and cost.

Key advantages to using our Soil Transfer System include:

  • Significant reduction in the total number of vehicles travelling to and from site;
  • Significant reduction  in the total number of kilometres travelled between the site and suitable disposal treatment facilities;
  • 'Spade-able' material is easier to handle, transport and dispose of correctly and safely in comparison to disposal of liquid waste;
  • Significant reduction in the total machine operating hours and CO2 emissions released into the environment;
  • Significant reduction in the total volume of material needed to be handled achieved through the effective removal of water from excavated spoil;
  • Reduced waste disposal costs;
  • Recycled water used for vacuum excavation; and
  • On-site availability of suitable 'spade-able' fill material.

VAC-U-Digga-Diaster-Cleanup using Soil-Transfer-Unit

Disaster clean-up applications

Our high performance Vac-U-Diggas and innovative Soil Transfer System eliminates the need for tankers to travel to and from site to dispose of spoil within cleanup zones. 

Our hydro excavation trucks are able to remain in cleanup zones rather than spending hours each day travelling in and out. This means that disaster cleanup efforts can be completed quicker and less expensively compared with traditional methods.

Soil removal and disposal services available throughout New Zealand

The Vac-U-Digga NZ team is committed to delivering liquid waste disposal solutions that minimise our client's environmental impact and overall project costs. If you'd like to find out how we can help improve your hydro excavation project’s efficiency as well as, save you money, call us today on 0508 822834. Our offices are situated in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington and we can easily provide soil removal and disposal works in metropolitan and remote locations around New Zealand.

Contact Vac-U-Digga NZ today to arrange a personalised obligation-free quote.


Vac-U-Digga NZ is proud to be part of many Major civil  infrastructure projects across New Zealand.




10 Tenahaun Place, Wigram, Christchurch

© 2019 VAC Group NZ Pty Ltd        Designed by iSeekPlant